Old July 17th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

On 17 Jul 2006 15:14:50 -0700, "Arif Khokar"
wrote:

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00.

Are you saying you can only average 6 to 7 mph on a bike? I'm not very
fast, but I can average 15 mph on a bike. That means I can make the
commute in about 80 minutes give or take.

Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000

Properly maintaining a good quality bike will cost far less than $2000
per year. The bike will last quite a bit longer than a year as well.

And maybe an expensive ride to the emergency room for heat exhaustion.

Dave Head