Old July 18th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Keats

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

In article . com,
" writes:

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

3 hours to go 20 miles??

When I ride to work (10 downhill & flat miles,) I like to give
myself an extra hour or so in case of flats or mechanicals
(haven't had anything like that happen yet, though,) and some
dilly-dally time for a pit stop at McD's if I feel like it.
I'm also that eager to ride. So I just get to work an hour early.
That gives me a chance for an extra cup of coffee, and to chum
around with my co-workers.

cheers,
Tom

--