Old June 11th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
rotten

Default we are sitting ducks

On Jun 9, 10:01 pm, Bolwerk wrote:
Joe the Aromawrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message

Do you understand what I'm talking about though? I'm just talking about a
tax on gasoline to pay for roads. It doesn't pay "per road" or anything like
that. It's just a big general fund to pay for roads. It's not a perfect
"user fee" but it's better than a general fund IMO.

I know you're not talking about a "per road" user fee (which would be
more like a toll, or graded toll anyway). I was under the impression
that you thought that a user fee could pay for 100% of the system
without shifting the financial burden so radically.

It's just that the most optimistic estimates I've heard for the current
user fee system is that they cover something like 60% of highway traffic
(this isn't counting the huge part of the system that isn't highway
traffic).

In any case, I like your idea, I just don't really think it's feasible
politically, much less practically.

The data I saw... was that gas taxes cover roughly 50-60% of fees for
roads, while excise taxes and tolls cover another 20% or so.