Old August 3rd 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

Default The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

On Aug 2, 10:48 pm, "Keats" wrote:
"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" wrote in s.com...

Keats WHO? wrote:
What would you think about a stiff graduated luxury tax on bicycles
costing over $150.00 (US) and bicycle accessories to help pay for the
things you demand? Why should my eighty year old mother, who has trouble
paying for her prescription drugs, need to help pay for your shower and
locker located in a business somewhere?...

The railroads were given free land by the federal government, barges and
riverboats do not pay the full costs of locks and dredging, airports and
air traffic control are subsided by the federal government, fuel taxes,
licensing fees and tolls do not pay the full cost of the roadways (in the
U.S.). Why should cyclists be singled out, especially where there is an
externality BENEFIT to society if more people commute by bicycle?

--

I take it you don't like the idea of the wealthiest Americans who possess
multiple bicycles costing $3000, $5,000, and even $7,000.00 (USA) and up

That bicycling remains an elitist hobby is the damned fault of a
system that doesn't know how to put together democracy and bicycles.
That we see so many SUVs out there, shows that we live in an elitist
society, where those at the bottom are f...d.

We need someone like...

"As mayor of Bogota, Colombia, Enrique Penalosa accomplished
remarkable changes of monumental proportions for the people of his
country in just three years.

Peņalosa changed the way Bogota treated its non-driving citizens by
restricting automobile use and instituting a bus rapid transit system
which now carries a 1/2 million residents daily. Among other
improvements: he widened and rebuilt sidewalks, created grand public
spaces, and implemented over one hundred miles of bicycle paths."

18 Comments (leave a comment)
"Enrique Penalosa is GOD!"

Comment by James L. - February 27, 2007 @ 11:54 pm | Link

"OMG! Please clone Mr. Penalosa and send the copies everywhere!"

Comment by pb - February 28, 2007 @ 3:08 pm | Link

"Viva Senor Penalosa. He truly is a visionary, and one who has
actually seen his dreams become reality!"

Comment by Steve K. - March 1, 2007 @ 11:13 pm | Link

"Bring Mr. Penalosa to Cleveland please! Seriously, how can you get a
hold off him? Is there any way?"

Comment by GaryE - March 2, 2007 @ 3:19 am | Link

"Another great example of the power of possibility and creativity.
Just because it had never been done before doesn't mean it couldn't be
done!"

Comment by Clarissa - March 2, 2007 @ 3:04 pm | Link

http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...penalosa-long/