Old June 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Frank Krygowski

Default published helmet research - not troll

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

There are many studies out there--some designed better, some worse.
There is poor compliance with helmet regulations in the US where they
exist. But certainly Kunich can show studies which cast doubt on the
efficacy of helmets in preventing head injuries. There is also this:

http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane/revabstr/ab001855.htm

which reaches exactly the opposite conclusion.

It's scary to me that a person can get serious medical training, yet
come away with your attitude. "Some go one way, some go another way.
Oh well, no point examining the methodology. We'll just go by gut
feeling."

Seriously, is that how they select chemotherapy drugs??

In the end, people are going to believe what they want.
Unfortunately, my tax dollars are going to pay the medical expenses of
those who ignore common sense.

Good grief. Sounds like more gut feeling to me!

Why not compute what percentage of your tax dollars to to auto accidents
(40,000 fatalities per year), to pedestrian fatalities (6500 per year),
to drownings (over 4000 per year). Then start thinking about obesity,
smoking, and all the other causes of preventable death.

Given the numbers, the 700 or so bike fatalities per year in the US are
NOT going to keep you from buying your next Mercedes! (As if the others
did...)

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]