Old February 21st 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default when 70% of drivers are banned from the road

On Feb 21, 7:37*am, Bolwerk wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
.. .
Jack May wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

How will this prevent the cagers from squishing cyclists,
pedestrians and animals? Will all of the latter have to be equipped
with transponders?

Probably. *I think we are talking about a single chip. *Since most
people carry a cell phone with them these day with location
electronics, maybe the law requires a transponder capability like the
law now require location to be determined by each cell phone for 911

If motor vehicles are developed that will not hit each others, that
will make the cagers even more careless about cyclists and pedestrians.

We are heading to the where the car will not be able to easily hit
anything with a transponder, including people and pets. * The car
will automatically brake for example to keep from hitting a child
that runs out into the road. That should not be hard once
transponders become common.

Congress people really want the capability for "zero deaths" on the
road that they can brag about pushing when running for reelections. *
Zero death is probably impossible even though we are getting near
that for large passenger jets.

All that is needed is adding microphones and cameras to the
transponders - then the government can achieve the long awaited goal
of regulating behavior of people in their homes behind closed doors.

Scheiss, imagine Jack's tv shouting out, "Mr May, stop that or you will
go blind!"

That would only happen during a GM commercial. *WTF is this thread doing
in a transit group anyway? *Jack's a troll.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, but we are trying to develop alternatives (bikes, public
transportation) for the moment when 70% of drivers are banned from the
road...

Driving tests and real-life driving

(...)

Politically, it is unpopular to suggest somebody who is physically
impaired, who is emotionally unbalanced, or who is just plain stupid
should not drive. But the fact is; bad driving causes lethal accidents
and huge traffic jams every day, all across America. Bad driving
wastes millions of gallons of fuel and adds tons of pollutants to our
air.

America's urban freeways are no place for the incompetent, and it is
thousands of times less expensive and more effective to get lousy
drivers off the road than it is to build ever-wider freeways and more
elaborate junctions. A more difficult driving test will accomplish
this. Driving tests can also reinforce common sense, patience, and
respect for others... things which are increasingly rare on American
roads.

Current driving tests measure rudimentary knowledge of the rules of
the road. At some point in a driver's life-usually very early- you
must prove your ability to operate a vehicle under minimally difficult
circumstances. Once licensed, many Americans are not road tested again
for dozens of years. Adding cellular phones, babies, fast food,
gigantic Sport Utility Vehicles, and other distractions on top of a
general increase in traffic and average speeds-only brews more
gridlock and carnage.

(...)

America must not shrink from hard decisions about where, when and who
is fit to drive. We must get the incompetent, the angry, the
thoughtless and the decrepit off the road. At the same time, we must
provide the opportunity to learn driving skills for people who need to
drive and are able to do it well, regardless of income level.

Giving people options
Increased transportation options for people who cannot drive must
coincide with efforts to weed out lousy drivers. Forcing people out of
their cars, with no way to get to work, breeds outlaws and
joblessness. Some ways include:

electric scooter and bicycle programs
bike-trains
high-speed rail

By eliminating the small percentage of drivers who, for whatever
reason, simply cannot cope with modern driving, we can reduce the
estimated 6.6 billion gallons of gasoline wasted by Americans who were
waiting in traffic in 1997, reduce the air pollution associated with
that colossal waste, and reduce the amount of frustration on our roads
in general.

more...
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote44