Old March 31st 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Roger Zoul

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Mar 31, 2:26 pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

I've ridden my recumbent trike in real live traffic on many occasions I
always live to tell about it. I take the lane when needed, too.

It's about attitude and if you ain't got none, ride something else.

:Yeah, but if I'm riding a bike in traffic, I'm giving my back to the
:enemy...

:Whether I survive or not has little to with attitude, and a lot to
:with their clemency.

I think it's clearly about your attitude toward what you think may happen
vs. what will happen. You're assuming drivers will run you down. Perhaps
you live some place where cyclists get run down as a matter of sport, on a
daily basis, anytime they share the road with traffic. Why don't you tell
us about where you live and how many cyclists are killed there per year?-

:I don't know how many are killed a year, but I've seen a beautiful
:lady on a scooter get crushed by a car running a red light right
:before my eyes. And out of the few cyclists who dare ride this road,
:never ever seen a trike. All you see is a few hardcore riders ride it
:early on weekends.

:By the way I do live in Miami Beach, USA.

Sad about the lady...

Even here, there are roads that I choose not to ride on. But at the same
time, there seem to be plenty roads that I can ride on. If your view of
cycling means you go everywhere you need or want to go by trike/bike, then
perhaps that is a serious concern. As a recreational rider, I look at
cycling from a different POV.