Old April 1st 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Mar 31, 7:33*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*ComandanteBanana wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off
the beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

I see you've changed your screen name but not your behavior.

I still remain Quixotic even though I changed my name.

A trike is no more of a vehicle than a bicycle. *The trike riders I have
met report that drivers give them more room on the road because they are
an unusual veicle. *Drivers may assume that the rider is infirm in some
way, too.

That makes sense. Sort of what I expected. Still the vehicle code
calls all bicycles "vehicles," so we all are a family --though not
necessarily happy.