Old April 1st 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Mar 31, 8:10*pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

Did I miss something? You seem to be comparing a vehicle made for two people
(tandem) with a vehicle made or one person (trike).

If you have a road bike among the bikes in your collection, you won't find
the road tandem different in terms of riding in traffic.

In neither case is any funeral planning needed.

No, I don't have a road, but I have a racy folding bike. The tandem
would have been nice though so my girlfriend is not left behind. She's
intimidated easily into the sidewalk too, but I hope my bravery would
inspire her....