Old June 14th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
AMuzi

Default Where is the Attempted Murder Charge?

James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 14, 3:16 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
NOBODY who has caused any doubt to be raised over their ability to use
a motor vehicle safely should be allowed further use. End of story.

Absolutely.

Freedom of association and freedom to travel are rights. But even
they can be revoked (via imprisonment) when a person is convicted of a
crime.

Freedom to operate a motor vehicle is a privilege. There should be a
much lower standard for its revocation.

If people knew that these were the consequences of an "accident"
they'd take the necessary care to avoid them.

Correct. The current "I might scratch my paint job" would be replaced
by "I might never drive again." It would make a huge - and
appropriate - difference.

While I agree with harsher penalties for those who have clearly shown
they lack the necessary mental attitude to drive safely, as far as I can
recall, every single motor vehicle crash story I have heard reported
here, has the *vehicle* doing something wrong.

"A 16 YEAR-OLD girl was in the driver's seat in a horrific crash that
killed two men and left two other passengers critically injured in
north-west Victoria this weekend.

The girl, who is also in a serious condition, was travelling with four
male friends to to a ''psytrance'' dance party in the Pyrenees Ranges,
when the vehicle smashed through a barrier and lodged in a tree. The
force of the crash left the car hanging nearly two metres off the ground.

The car, a Land Rover Discovery four-wheel-drive, was towing a trailer
loaded with camping equipment when it crashed at Burrumbeet, about 20
kilometres west of Ballarat.

It was unclear if the girl, from St Kilda, was a learner driver, who are
banned from towing caravans or trailers.

Ballarat traffic branch Acting Sergeant Travis Johnson confirmed a girl,
the only female in the car, was at the wheel of the car. ''I don't know
if she was a learner,'' he said.
"

Read mo
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tw...611-1fya3.html

Bad, bad vehicle. How dare it smash through a barrier and lodge in a tree.

Also note that "The car ... was towing a trailer ... when it crashed ..."

Why wasn't it reported that a learner driver, illegally drove a 4WD
towing a trailer, across to the wrong side of the road, through a
barrier, and into a tree?

I can sort of see what lee.watkins is on about, not that it is right.

Car crashes have numerous otherworldly causes. Bad Tree
jumps out at drunk driver, Evil Car leaves pavement, The
Lure of Texting, Meddlesome GPS Alert, etc.

Sometimes it's caused by a sighting of The Other Woman:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...reat-continues

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6db4jsd

Too bad nothing can be done about any of those things.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/