Old December 10th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 19:58:49 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 15:40:16 -0800 (PST), Oculus Lights
wrote:

Yes, your posts sound like promos because they are. That's simple
enough. You have a vested interest in believing in and promoting the
superiority of your product versus all others. That doesn't necessarily
make you inaccurate, just biased.

With only one battery change at a 6.5 hour burn time bright with
beam wide and even enough to win a World 24 Hour Time Trial
Championship on, and 36 hour burn time for climbing and extra
long distance touring, Oculus makes it well worth revisiting and
reconsidering if the reasons given by generator aficionados still
hold water.

The problem is noted by yourself right above. "With one battery change
at 6.5 hour burn time." I don't want to have to carry an extra battery
with me and then change it partway through my ride.

With my generators I always have lights on my bike, so I can be spur of
the moment on my planning. If I am out for a ride, stop and a friend's
house and they invite me to stay for dinner I can do so and ride home in
the dark. But if I left the house with the battery still on the
charger, thinking I was going out just for a day ride, then my options
are sometimes limited.

The piece that you and Steven don't seem to get is that "good enough" is
good enough. Better than "good enough" rapidly becomes multiple
redundancy and enters diminishing returns. I don't need a beam suitable
for going 100 miles an hour because I never will go that fast on my
bike. But I descended on unfamiliar roads with my old halogen setup at
25 mph; I could descend faster with my current LED light and expect that
will be even more true with the incoming eDelux II.

When is enough enough? When one succeeds in recreating daylight? Fiat
Lux!

Damn, probably 50 years ago I rode back and forth to work with a
bottle generator and a headlight with an incandescent light bulb. And,
part of the ride was across small "dikes"perhaps 10 - 12 inches wide
that divided a rice paddy. Slipping off the path there ended up with
the cyclist being knee deep in very smelly sludge.

Amazingly I rode that bike nearly every day for a year or so and never
had a problem.
--
Cheers,

John B.