Old May 18th 05, 08:17 PM
JH

Neil Brooks wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

JH wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I thought the latest "science" was that cleaning a chain didn't

affect

lifetime. I've stopped cleaning mine.

But even if this is true, the bike just runs so much more smoothly

and
quietly with a clean chain.

Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.

I'm with you on this. If I've done some really nasty riding--either

rain riding on the road bike, or mud riding on the mtb--I use WD-40,

rag, and a toothbrush, but have *never* removed a chain for cleaning.

They run fine, whisper-quiet, get good life, and don't seem to be
cog-eaters.

I'd rather be riding....

I suppose I'm probably imagining most of the "improvement" from the
clean chain. In any case I certainly agree that I'd rather be riding.
I save the chain cleaning for rainy nights.