Old March 11th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default My CF Adventure

On 3/11/2013 1:09 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip

it lacks somewhat. I might invest in a nice, stiff CF frame, but its
not like I have to.

Based on the number of people that have had warranty replacements of
broken CF frames (including just the people I know personally) I'd be
hesitant about buying a used CF bicycle since I don't think the lifetime
frame warranty is transferable.

You've already had a warranty replacement of an aluminum frame and CF is
much more fragile. Of course it's also very easy to damage a CF frame in
a way that's not covered by the warranty and that might not be
detectable on a used bike (something that's much more difficult to do an
aluminum frame or steel frame bicycle such as carrying it on the wrong
type of car rack, putting in the wrong type of repair stand, or
attaching accessories that damage the tubing).

While it's best to avoid CF frame bicycles completely, unless you're a
sponsored racer, avoiding used CF frame bicycles is really something
that you want to do.