Old October 30th 20, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default {Politics so we don't have to change the subject.

rOn Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:15:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/28/2020 10:02 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/28/2020 8:38 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/28/2020 7:53 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 13:31:47 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Sometimes bike shops are burglarized. So we should make
it legal to
burglarize bike shops.

If everyone affected by the burglary gives informed
consent, why not?

Then it's not a burglary. It's a donation.

or 'reparations' as is currently claimed.
Just ignore the flames in these 'peaceful protest' images:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=october+20... es&ia=images

Here's the problem, at least some of the time:

What do you call a protest if 500 people are walking around quietly with
signs, some with toddlers on their shoulders, doing absolutely nothing
illegal?

Then what do you call the same protest if five punks suddenly drive up
with a Molotov cocktail and throw it at some concrete?

What do you call it if those punks then drive off and collect $100 from
a Proud Boys chapter?

I'm absolutely against rioting. I think it's absolutely
counterproductive. But I think not all is what it seems.

Note that the first "protest" in the new United States was the so
called "Whiskey Rebellion" which was a protest against the first tax
levied on a domestic product... and was put down by military force.

One of the events was described as:

On August 1 (1790), about 7,000 people gathered at Braddock's Field.
The crowd consisted primarily of poor people who owned no land, and
most did not own whiskey stills. The furor over the whiskey excise had
unleashed anger about other economic grievances. By this time, the
victims of violence were often wealthy property owners who had no
connection to the whiskey tax. Some of the most radical protesters
wanted to march on Pittsburgh, which they called "Sodom", loot the
homes of the wealthy, and then burn the town to the ground.

Sound familiar?

--
Cheers,

John B.