Old October 30th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default {Politics so we don't have to change the subject.

On 10/30/2020 12:14 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 6:33:14 AM UTC-4, Eric Pozharski wrote:
with Frank Krygowski wrote:

It might be more effective to have a convicted perp kept alive but
"legally" dead, with absolutely no chance t anfor appeal based on anything
but (say) new DNA evidence. That is, no appeal because the judge used
the wrong word, the jury didn't have lunch, the witness may have seen
something on TV, etc.

It is this way (effectevely) already, isn't it?

I don't think so. We have a local case where a guy was convicted of raping and murdering a pre-teen boy.
His defense lawyers are still mounting appeals over 20 years later. And I think this matters because perps
think "If I get caught, I can get off on some technicality. And if I get convicted, I can try endless appeals and
I might get lucky and get out."

I don't know, but I suspect some of the death penalty defense attorneys are drawn to that job by moral
objections to execution. If the perp didn't face execution, but instead absolutely guaranteed sequestration,
there might be less chance of release. (Admittedly, this is just my idea. I'm not an expert at all.)

And have the perp kept in visibly miserable conditions - boring as
hell, uncomfortable, visually ugly. And filmed and broadcast to the
public for constant viewing in juvenile justice centers, city jails,
YouTube channels, etc.

That would be torture. How people jump from being The White Knight And
Stuff to torture is beyond my understanding.

Being bored, uncomfortable and in ugly surroundings is torture?? Hell, for a lot of people that's just "work."

- Frank Krygowski

Then there's 'death by unintended consequences':

https://nypost.com/2020/02/05/man-wh...rs-found-dead/

'Reform' sounds great to people who have not thought deeply
about why we have what we have now.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/