Old August 8th 03, 02:07 PM
asqui

Default Thoughts on braking

Rick Onanian wrote:
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:08:29 +0000 (UTC), asqui
wrote:
As for the "death trap" comment: A front brake is a death trap
because it can be misused and cause an accident, but a rear brake is
not a deathtrap when the only way for you to stop with it from speed
involves sliding all over the place and possibly under the wheels of
another vehicle?

Don't forget the whole reason you're panic-braking in the
first place: to avoid a hazard in front of you. The rear
brake [used alone for panic-stopping] is a deathtrap because
it won't accomplish anything.

I know. I was being sarcastic

When I was a little kid getting my fun out of skidding as
long as I possibly could, I found that with a little more
speed I layed a LOT longer track. I can't imagine what
would happen with the speeds I reach now and the tiny
contact patch on my 700x23c @ 125 psi tires...I bet I
could maintain my speed skidding down a moderate hill.

Until you wear through the paper-thin tires and blow the inner, because then
your contact patch would increase

Dani