Old August 4th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" ""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"
wrote:

See http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html.

Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it
just a demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear
wheel provide any real advantage?

Back in the day, Charlie Cunningham built MTBs with a smaller rear
wheel- IIRC 20" rear and 26" front. Many dirt motorbikes have a smaller
rear wheel. I have no idea why. Maybe Carl Fogel does, he used to ride
trials and the like.

I don't know about Cunningham but a few builders, including Cannondale,
built bikes with 24" rear wheels and 26" fronts. In fact, I wouldn't
be surprised if someone still is.

The first purpose-built off-road motorcycles started out with 19" front
and 19" rear tires. Over the years that evolved into 18" rears, and 21"
fronts. Although I haven't kept up with off-road motos so they may be
using different sizes now. I know 17", 18" and 19" rear tires and 21"
and 23" front tires were tried at various times over the last 30 years.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky