Old May 9th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

Default what kind of bike should I get?

On Thu, 08 May 2008 15:58:47 GMT, dcg wrote:
My inlaws live in Piedmont Alabama next to the Chief Ladiga bike
trail. This trail is described as "relatively flat" with a little bit
of gravel. I live in Florida where the roads are "absolutely flat"
and haven't ridden a bike on a hill - ever. I've never ridden on
gravel either.

I'll visit this area about once every couple of years. I'd like to
buy an inexpensive, but durable bike that I can keep up there. As
I'll be on vacation, I'd like to increase my daily mileage or burn
more calories. I'd like to be comfortable doing so.

What sort of bike should I look for?

If you can, I'd check the trail out before committing to a bike. I
don't know exactly how the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet trails are
finished; I've ridden one rail-trail (Virginia Creeper) on 700Cx28
with no problem, and another one that wouldn't be comfortable on
anything with less than four horseshoes. The Creeper trail is mostly
finished with crushed cinders, with a bit of gravel mixed in in spots.
It's just a blast on a tourer! The other trail is 1-2" gravel, and
uncomfortable on 26x2-1/4" tires.

Pat

Email address works as is.