Old October 18th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ningi[_2_]

Default Bike boxes - a failed experiment

On 18/10/2012 14:52, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 17, 9:56 pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 10-18-2012 00:17, Dan O wrote:

On Oct 17, 6:32 pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 10-17-2012 15:32, Jay Beattie wrote:

Reading the article, the problem is not with bike boxes but is with
bike lanes -- riders remaining in the bike lane when approaching a
green light. In that situation, the right turning car has to yield to
the bicyclist and is, in effect, turning from the second lane over.
The problem is that car don't know that, nor do they look for traffic
approaching on the right. One day they might, but now they don't.

They don't know it because most people don't read law, and don't expect
a law that STUPID to exist.

Think about it--we are required to go straight when on the right of
someone going to the right?

They are required to turn right from the left of someone going straight?

I repeat: font size="+9"STUPID/font

Do you have a better idea? (Should be easy, if the existing solution
is so "stupid".)

Yes. If the lane is _MARKED_ right-turn only, don't put "except for
bicycles" in some law book that motorists never see

This is the usual pattern for right turn only lanes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luton/5339741067/ The problem is
elective right turns from a through lane that parallels a bike lane.
The California approach is to allow the turning car to enter and
remain in the bike line prior to turning. Under Oregon law, a motor
vehicle may only enter the bike lane while executing a turn -- which
is often a good thing because it keeps cars from stacking up in the
bike lane. OTOH, it invites right hooks. Taking a consistent
approach to bicycle lanes as "lanes," the California approach is the
correct one -- move over one lane and execute the turn. Whatever the
approach, we all have to be on the same page -- and there is a page.
It's in the Oregon Drivers' Handbook. It's all spelled out if anyone
cared to read it.

-- Jay Beattie.

I like the way the bike lane markings disappear during the transition
from one side of the lane to the other. That's saying 'this is really
dangerous so we'll let you figure it out on your own.

Pete

Pete