Old October 9th 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-09 12:59, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 9:25:09 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
On 2018-10-08 17:22, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 16:16:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-08 16:05, John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

... but having said that I might comment that it is not
difficult to change socks, even sitting on the roadside
curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a
business park? I rather flick a little switch and have
instant visibility. Upon arrival I flick it again, visibility
turns off. Simple.

As I said, I noticed the orange socks going up and down a
kilometer away on a bright summer day. I doubt strongly whether
your super-duper light would even be visible (in bright
daylight) at that distance.

It sure is. I can say that for sure because this occasionally
happens on Green Valley Road when I have to use the car and
another cyclist has such good lighting. No orange socks. The
riders with good lights are often longhaul bike commuters. They
wear nice shirts, khakis and have panniers for their laptops and
stuff.

So tell us about all the times you hit, or skidded your smoking
tires to avoid, cyclists who were riding legally but without all
the magic talismans you claim necessary.

I know in advance your tales will be imaginary, but your fantasies
are always such fun to read.

And if you're a long haul commuter, you're not wearing a nice shirt
-- unless you're a long haul commuter on an eBike. I ride three miles
cross town on a warm day, and I'll soak through my nice work shirt.
Maybe I could do it in cool weather, but even then, why would I wear
a nice shirt riding a bike? I'm not a missionary, and who wants to
get a nice shirt all stinky or covered in road grime. Even around
here, the street clothes people tend to commute in t-shirts and
change at work (those in my office) -- or work someplace where they
can dress like urchins.

We have an advantage, provided you do not use a road called Hollow Oak
for the way into the valley or at least walk it. Other than Hollow Oak
it's mostly downhill. In the valley all one has to do is ride more
slowly. I know that's hard to do and I sometimes violate that rule when
dressed more nicely. On the way back it's ok to put the hammer down
because the shirt goes into the wash pile. Wear a quality shirt that
doesn't develop salt stains.

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...nMxzsKV8Q.jpeg
(commuter traffic on N. Williams). Or they have super-short
commutes.

Here is a speed-clip from the Netherlands so you see lots of commuters.
Our commutes there weren't always short, typically across a whole city
to get to the work place in some business district. I saw people in suit
and tie on their bikes all the time. Also women in heels. Even pastors
in their frocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AbPav5E5M

On my side of town, bike specific clothes are more common, probably
because of the longer commute distances and climbing. During rainy
season, people on both sides of town tend to dress more technically.

In Europe we threw on a rain racket and, if it was really bad, spats
that went all the way up the lower leg (I hated those).

I passed a guy this morning who dressed in Showers Pass garb, top to
bottom. ...

Ah, a lawyer or some other millionaire 8-)

... I never wear rain pants. Showers Pass, Rapha USA and
Castelli USA are all in Portland and all of them have killer
warehouse sales, so a lot of people get stuff to dress up. The Rapha
sale is crazy. It's like stuffing a phone booth full of clowns, but
even at half-off, its too rich for me.

Move south, there you rarely need rain clothes. I have a jacket but
can't remember the last time I used it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/