Old March 27th 14, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

About 71 in the last century.* But the risk of serious injury
is much higher than for mountain biking ... which is only 1.54 per 1,000
exposures (http://emj.bmj.com/content/early/201...6991.abstract).

Rugby players know the extent of the danger they are exposing
themselves to. Mountain bikers do not have a clue about the danger they are
exposing themselves to. They are all stupid enough to think it is
safe.

It is relatively safe. 1.54 injuries per thousand exposures for Mountainbiking vs between 10.6 and 19.8 for rugby. You are 10 times (on average) more likely to be injured playing rugby than mountainbiking.

No Ed, to refute something you have to actually

provide some evidence .. not just waffle.

The reports are numerous enough and broad enough to constitute

evidence. I wonder how many times I will have to say this before it

sinks

in.

The reports you have deigned to provide are nowhere near the level of being significant ... there are 50million mountainbikers in the US alone and the trail network is vast.

Fears over dangers of mountain biking

Just read the bloody thing before you post ... there has been a

massive rise in mountainbiking so, unsurprisingly, there is a rise in
incidents.* Duh !

But why should there be any incidents at all if, as you claim,
it is safe. Hikers do not have a similar incident count regardless of the number
of hikers.

Why do you think injury rates are quoted relative to amount of activity ... as in Injuries per 1,000 exposures ? Nothing in this world is 'safe' as in ... there is no risk.

As I mentioned before, thousands die in their bathrooms and falling down stairs ... not because it is "unsafe" to take a shower or walk down the stairs but because billions of people do it every day.