Old November 16th 04, 10:15 PM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:43:24 -0500,
, dgk
wrote:

Shimano DH-3N70 - $119.95.
Dura- Ace HB-7800 - $113.95

That's six bucks for a generator.
Lock your wheel.

True, but then I already have a hub. Plus, you need to get it in a
wheel, which raises it to $200 or so. And, of course, you need lights,
which seem to be another $50 at least.

Okay, as an upgrade it's an added cost. On a new bike it's more
expensive than comparable plain hub. Is it less expensive than a hub
and a light system with innumerable battery pack replacements?

I cheaped out spending only $10 for an old 70mm Union light scattering
front lamp, red rear and bottle generator. With $6.50 for a new
krypton bulb it gave me good service for over a year. Then I built
new wheels for the bike. $90 for the Nexus front hub, $55 for spokes
and rim. $4 for the switch. A broken switch ran it up to $149 CND
spread over almost four years daily service.
(Replacement bulbs and batteries for blinkies extra)

One odd thing. I have a 10W Halogen on the Raptor, but the lights that
go with the hub are 2.4 or 3 watt. Wouldn't that provide much less
light than the 10 watt?

There's been several discussions of this lately and they've concluded
that the power is wasted if the beam isn't shaped by the optics.
Many of the high wattage systems compensate for their inferior optics
by throwing extra watts at the problem.

Here's some examples of 2.4 watt headlights.
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Kompon.../vergleich.htm

High powered battery lights come into their own for limited off-road
rides after dark.

For my urban riding, 2.4 watts is totally adequate and _always_ there.
I can use it as a daytime running lamp and still have lights for the
way home later.
--
zk