Old September 21st 17, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Build it and they won't come

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 7:22:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:47:30 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have cars
will drive cars.

That's hardly an example now is it? It's ALWAYS raining in England and people will always opt for comfort over convenience. I will only on very seldom occasions go to San Francisco by car because it's such a pain in the ass.. But if it's raining there's no way I'm riding a bike.

It was raining this morning (and yesterday, and the day before and the day before that), and it looked like ridership dipped a bit. Nonetheless, I had to dodge a bunch of bicyclists this morning. I got a late start to work and beat traffic by probably ten minutes on my five mile commute. It was also cold, but it's going to warm up again and dry out for a while until fall hits for real. Then its piles of sludge-leaves and then ice and then probably snow this year. We've already got snow on Mt. Hood, which is pretty weird. Time to wax the skis.

-- Jay Beattie.