Old January 28th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

If it's not 16-gauge gas-pipe tubing, it's not a Varsity.

I would have thought 12 guage or maybe 8 guage, 16 is pretty thin for
gas pipe. Isn't there a requirment that Walmart bikes need to weigh in
excess of 20kg (44lbs).

I always thought it would have been a cool marketing scheme to put the
Varsity name on something superlight and high-quality. The ultimate inside
joke.

Kinda like Ford building a nice high quality hybrid mini-van and calling
it an Edsel.....