Old January 17th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Newell

Default Electric bikes.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:12:14 +1300, Fred wrote:

Thanks. So what are the pros/cons other comments re front drive vs rear
hub drive?

From my research, front drive gives better balance. The drawback is that
the front forks aren't as strong and it's not recommended for use with
aluminum or suspension forks. Other than that I'd probably prefer a
front hub motor.

I occasionally do long tours -around say 100-150 plus km (60
- 100 miles?) per day with panniers front and rear and terrain is hilly.
(South Island of New Zealand).. I realise no battery will handle that
distance - but quite happy to peddle for a fair bit of the way. Never
ridden one but assume they aren't much different from a std. bike to
just peddle on reasonably flat roads apart from a bit of weight.

Most hub motors are direct drive and thus have some resistance when not
in use. But with a regen controller, they provide battery charging when
not in use. Personally I don't know if this is really of much value as I
haven't tried it. A geared hub motor won't regen, but has virtually no
resistance when not in use. Which is better? I don't know.

Since you're riding hilly long distances, you may want to consider
something like a chain drive motor tied into the gear system of the bike.
It has the advantage of being able to use the gears for both low and high
torque. It also has no resistance and claims about twice the distance on
a battery charge compared to hub motors. Something that may be very
useful for long rides.

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/index.html
http://www.cyclone-usa.com/performance.php

Disclaimer:
I have no personal experience with any of these. All info based on my
research.

Walmart sells the Ezip Trailz bike for $320 complete with battery pack in
case anyone is looking for a good deal?