Old April 1st 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-31 08:23,
On 2018-03-30 10:31,
On 2018-03-30 07:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:09:37 PM UTC-7,
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:41:51 AM UTC+2, Joerg
On 2018-03-29 14:32, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2018 4:19 PM,
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 9:47:20 PM UTC+2,
On 2018-03-29 12:25,

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:09:07 PM
On 2018-03-28 20:28, James wrote:
On 28/03/18 01:39, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden
fade and that's scary. Then they
require bleeding which, depending on
the kind, is a messy business. On mine
particularly so because there is no
bleed kit for them. Cable disc brakes
are fine for pavement riding, just not
for heavy duty MTB riding.

With the use of a few hose clamps, a file
that is harder than tool steel, nails and
rocks, I'm sure you could build a front
wheel for your MTB using a motorcycle
front hub, disc brake and lever.

After upgrading to 8" rotors front and back
I am quite pleased with the brake
performance of my MTB. The bleeding is
messy but only needs to be done about once
a year and takes 1/2h.

Once a year? Why?

Because after about a year the lever for the
rear brake starts feeling soft. Braking is
still fine and most other riders just leave it
like that but I like the pressure point nice
and hard. Also, the slightest amount of air in
the line near the caliper can cause a brake
failure on a long downhill which here in the
hills is not cool.

Never bleed my brakes on my cross bike for 4
years now and they feel like they did on day 1.
Shimano must be doing something right.

Says the guy riding in Nederlands where there are
no mountain lions. Of course they work for you.

There are also no hills and dirt and stuff, or having
to ride through rivers. My MTB brake calipers
regularly reach a state where you can't even seem
them anymore.

The guys using Shimano out here need to bleed them as
well, except they can't use the DOT4 fluid from the
garage cabinet.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

As I said they are on my crossbike which see more mud
and dirt you can image. And lots of steep short up and
downhills. In total I spent 3 months in California
during my trips. Never had a day of rain, some
drizzle/fog in San Francisco...

Where do you take your CX bike? Eastern Belgium? Or to the
Alps?

Just in my backyard, most of the time just across the German
border. Once in a while I make a clip of our ride. You can
download (it is save) a clip of a typical sunday morning
winter ride here

https://we.tl/6awaXeHLBp

That's not a lot of dirt, just wee mud puddles on a meandering
forest path. Also, it's totally flat so you won't experience
what I did when I rode an MTB with rim brakes: Muddy trail like
yours but downhill. Reached in, nothing, only horrid sandpaper
sounds, sharp turn with cliff approaching fast. I almost needed
a bathroom after that. This simply does not happen with disc
brakes.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Not unusual:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0KviHxMzDlHsok3H3

Right, and an attentive viewer will notice that the bike in your
photo link has disc brakes. Applying rim brakes under that
condition will cause a substantial delay until the brake force
appears. In your video it wouldn't matter because it's all
flatlands and you won't encounter a sharp turn with a cliff on the
outside. Like this are 0:51min, 1:13min, 1:29min, 1:35min and so
on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USLVraV4mU

It's one of my regular routes. I would not want to ride that in the
rain with a rim brake bike, it would be no fun.

Mud will also eat rims. At least out here where there is lots of
sand mixed in such mud. When my old MTB had around 1000mi on it
there were already deep grooves in the rims. By that time I had
made the decision that this isn't going to work and bought a proper
MTB with disc brakes and all. I still have the old one but it is
now my "commute mule" to take along in the SUV on business trips.
Most of those are to the flatlands and there the bike is fine.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I think no one is arguing that in that kind of situation hydraulic
disk brakes are the better choice. That doesn't mean that you die if
you use rimbrakes.

You could get in trouble, for example, if an unforseen situation comes
up. Like that logging truck driver not seeing you. In my case it was a
buck that didn't pay attention and cut diagonally across the singletrack
without looking at me. With rim brakes we'd have collided. Couldn't
believe it. He just kept running and running, without looking back even
once.

You have just be aware of the limitations and
behavior of your brakes. That is part of your riders skills. If rider
skills are not a factor than everone rides a full suspension bike. I
prefer a cross bike just because of the riders skill needed to get
around off road. I admire the pro cross riders (man and women) more
than the dumb downhillers. YMMV.

If you ride by yourself that's fine. However, you won't be able to keep
up with a team when the weather is bad and you are the only one with rim
brakes. Inferior equipment is no fun. Why go offroad with inadequate
brakes when you can buy better systems for not much money?

We could go back to the days when cars only had brakes on the two rear
wheels. Would anynone want to?