Old January 4th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default Choosing a MUni

The Nimbus' are a great value. If you get one make sure it's a '09.
According to UDC a 2.3" WTB Stout will fit the 29er, I don't know about
the 2.4" Racing Ralph. There's some debate as to if the frame can be
modified to fit a geared hub (I don't see why not since some of the
earlier '07 KH's needed it to fit that hub).

A couple of pluses of the KH is it has a 5 mm wider rim, it's lighter,
and can definitely be upgraded to a geared hub. The sizes a 19, 24,
29 & 36", no 26" (unless you put your rim in a 29" frame).

Unless you intend to progress to doing big drops, you should consider
upgrading to the double hole cranks (I've read they're O.K. up to ~ 4 ft
w/ a rollout)

The wider KH rim is virtually the same weight as the Nimbus' (a
rebranded '05 KH), is a bit less likely to pinch flat, or fold over on
large side hops/landings. Also it gives a flatter profile giving
slightly more grip straight up/downhill, and a bit more stable loose
sand or mud.

On my Muni, 38 mm rim, a 3" Duro has a rounder profile than the stock
tire (it'd be flatter w/ a wider rim), 2.6" Kenda Kinnetics. W/ my rim
the Duro's more twitchy in loose dirt/mud, is harder to get it to run
straight, not S's, and turns differently at mod-high speeds (lean
instead of pivot). For now I don't feel the added volume is worth it
for me. I very briefly rode a '07 KH w/ a 3" Duro and noticed the same
things but way less, so much so that it may be insignificant compared to
the issues I have w/ my rim.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'