Old January 20th 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

Default Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

On Jan 20, 9:33*am, AMuzi wrote:
Anton Berlin wrote:
*I am one of those nuts that has 10 machines in the garage. From a
custom made Columbus Max with SR an Aquila titanium with a brand new c-
record large flange group, to several carbon frames and a collection
of disc wheels and H3s etc.

I am in the stage where I want to simplify and feel that I could get
practical and get down to one bike and be content with that.

My current idea is a titanium cyclocross style bike that uses mtb
wheels, has a long wheelbase and is set up for touring (fenders,
panniers, etc) would be the best compromise of all worlds.

I want a bike that is flexible enough to ride everyday, tour
extensively on (already have 2 cycling trips around the world and
multiple through Europe)

The open questions are rim brakes or discs ? * Derailleurs or internal
gearing (rohloff or sram) ?

And the pros and cons of using s&s couplers. *Thanks in advance for
your thoughts and input.

I can't help specifically but even I, a well known cheap
*******, can't manage with only one bicycle.

You can get by with a 1975 Raleigh International -- a red one.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...rnational.html

Fully serviceable in even the most remote locales, and if you need it
smaller for packing, you can hack through the top tube and down tube
and braze it back together later. Sew-ups for racing, fat tires for
touring, and ten (count 'em ten) different gears.

Now, I do own over forty bikes, all of them C-Record or better -- and
six with Super-Duper Record and two with Crotch of Doom -- many made
of exotic materials and with aerodynamic wheels. It is an impressive
stable of bikes. I even have valet parking. I have also ridden
around the solar system twice, and can state with certainty that the
only bike anyone needs is a 1975 Raliegh International.

-- Jay Beattie.