Old October 1st 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:54:54 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2018 7:59 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:17:30 +0000 (UTC),
Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 09:47:21 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:

Your tire's inner diameter at the bead is the same size as
your rim at the painted line he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/rimpins.jpg

Any occlusion such as a fat rim liner can (and in your
case probably did) wreck that very precise fit.

Yes, I am now thinking this is likely to the issue. Last
time I changed the tube and tire, I noticed the tape was
not well centered at all points, so I reapplied it. It
still seemed hard to keep it far enough down in the well.
Furthermore, the fact that I changed the strip on both
wheels and am having the same problem on both also points
this direction.

I will report back after I've had time to work on it.

Okay, Ifinally got some time to work on these wheels. By the
way, they are labeled Ritchey WCS Zeta II.

I took off the front tire and tube, took out the 16 mm Velox,
put on the original yellow plastic Ritchey rim strip, and
reinstalled the tire. It was a bit easier to mount, but still
had a low spot.

Next, I took that tire off, and put on the first one I'd had
trouble with. It was even more out of round. I noticed that
a line on the tire was spaced about 2 mm from the rim most of
the way around, but right at the rim in a place (or two?).

My conclusion is that the tire is enough too small that the
bead is pulled inward and doesn't completely seat in those
areas. I tried bouncing the wheel, and even smacking the
sidewall against the top of my workbench, but could not
convince it to pop out into place.

I put took that tire off and put the other back on. It made a
pretty good pop/ping when it was nearly fully pressured (100
psi), but still had that one low spot. This aligns with an
area of the tire sidewall that is further into the rim, just
like what I described two paragraphs above. I beat on and
bounced this wheel, but couldn't get that last bit of tire
fully seated.

So I plan to order some different tires, and will ride on this
out of round one until they come (and I can get them
installed). I've already ridden many hundreds of miles with
these out of round tires, so don't expect any problems (other
than the mildly aggravating hoping).

So the rim strip was a minor factor, but I think the basic
problem is mismatch between tire and rim
diameter/circumference.

Could be.

Did you use any lubricant for tire mounting? Just as car/truck
tires are seated using soapy water (or branded similar 'tire
seat' fluids) a schpritz of spray wax can often help here. Spin
rim in midair, spray it, mount tire.

Also you can pull up a tire from a low spot to a satisfying
'pop' as it seats. Bouncing a wheel won't move anything.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I will give it one more go
(probably not before the coming weekend) and let you know what
happens.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA