Old October 2nd 18, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 10/1/2018 10:18 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Ok, let's do the math.

I put a flashlight to the handlebars the other
day with re-openable cable ties. It seems to
work OK, a pretty solid fix. I cut the cable
ties with a combination plier so it looks neat
as well.

The flashlight is 3*AAA batteries with
9 diodes. How many lumens is that, do
you think?

I think I should get a proper bicycle light
soon tho.

One person who posts here spent years claiming that super-bright LED
flashlights were better than bike headlights.

Eventually, for Christmas I was given such a flashlight. It was bright
enough that as I drove a freeway on a dark night, it clearly illuminated
freeway signs overhead.

But it was still a terrible bike headlight. You need more than
brightness. You need proper optics, designed for the road. A circular
beam cannot do that.

--
- Frank Krygowski