Old February 7th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Yeah, yeah, yeah, You told me so

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 4:20:08 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
Snipped
Careful relying on the CO2 when it's near freezing. The sealant may be
"good down to below freezing," but the CO2 cartridges not so much,
unless you use the old hunter's trick and keep 'em in an interior pocket
to keep 'em warm, and even then (how warm are /your/ pockets?)

The CO2 still "works," sort of, it's just that you'll get maybe half the
pressure you expected. That was my experience changing a flat at 28F,
anyway. Good to have a frame pump backup!

I talked about this with a physical chemist at school; we think it's not
an ideal gas law thing, but rather a phase-change (gas to ?liquid?)
thing, 'cause CO2 does funny things somewhere around "freezing." And of
course when you empty the cartridge, it gets colder still.

Mark J.

Same thing with fuels for camping stoves. Even some naptha stoves require burning a starter paste to warm things up enough so that the fuel flows.

Ditto for batteries which is why I use external battery lights. I can put the battery inside my jacket where it stays quite warm. I also carry a spare just in case. I've seen a few dynamo lights in winter but the light they throw at slow speed is NOT enough for MY needs and wants.

Cheers