Old November 15th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 15/11/13 11:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dan O wrote, among
MUCH else:
On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:11:49 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Fine. What would you say if a straight-ahead lane for motorists
was placed to the right of a lane marked with a big split arrow,
telling motorists they could either turn right or go straight?

I'd say it must have been a mistake.

And yet, that's how bike lanes are routinely arranged.

Yep, I know of a good one where the straight ahead bike lane is marked
to the left of a left turn only lane.

These facilities are designed by people supposedly with engineering
degrees, and in accordance with road design standards, and endorsed by
our largest bicycling advocacy group
(https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/) - so they are fine and I must be
dreaming that the design is bad, or so I'm told when I complain about them.

The people who write the standards seem to very difficult to communicate
with, from the POV of find who to communicate with, and actually getting
them to listen to reason and logic.

Incidentally, Bicycle Network is sponsored by The RACV - our automobile
club - and both have opposed increased demerit points for opening a car
door in front of a cyclist, and minimum safe passing distance laws that
other bicycling advocacy groups are trying to have instated.

--
JS