Old November 21st 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

Default Folding Bikes

On 11-20-2013, 08:20, John B. wrote:
I have heard that some makes have a weakness in the steering but
nothing beyond that.

I can't imagine why the folding feature on any I've ever seen in person
or in picture would have any effect on steering.

The one I owned was VERY heavy, but I suppose they could be made
lighter. Folding it didn't made no difference in its total volume of
course. Half the length, but more than twice the width. It did
however, allow it to fit in a car trunk (but even then, not easily).

I also owned a folding tricycle. Folding that allows it to fit into a
minivan, just barely, and only if you also remove the seat, stem, and
handlebars!

I think your friend is better off getting a GOOD bike, and moving a few
things around to clear a space for it. If the boat is big enough to
live on, it surely has room for a bicycle.

A tiny little Bantam has on each side, a space 2.5 meters long, 2.5
meters high, and about 300 centimeters wide. And LOTS of space on top.
See drawings at the bottom of http://tinyurl.com/kulbl6n

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.