Old November 21st 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Default Folding Bikes

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:20:30 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A good friend who lives on a 35 ft. catamaran is asking about a new

bicycle. He currently has a mountain bike of some sort and is lusting

after a folding bike and asked me what was best.

IMO, very difficult to ever know what the best bike is for someone else. Even difficult to know whats best for me, myself.

I have 3 folders now, and got rid of 3 others, over the years. Mostly riding a Dahon Speed-7, after swapping out the saddle for a WTB, and swapping out the narrow tires for wider Schwalbes, and adding plastic fenders. I like the way it rides, and love the way it folds. Squirt dry lube http://tinyurl.com/lfzvu98 works well, and is useful for taking the folder on public transportation. If your friend is handy w bikes, he could pick up one on CL and set it up to match his preferences. For nautical application, it's worthwhile to check out the stainless Dahon Mariner (frequently on CL) and the aluminum Dahon Mu.
Best, L