Old April 30th 19, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-30 15:30, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:13:14 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-29 21:49, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:35:23 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

Besides, it ain't cheap:

1. SUV, four tires, $70 each so $280 total, 1st set lasted 70000mi and
still had half the tread. I only replaced them because they were around
15 years old.

70,000 miles at $280? that is what? Less than one cent a mile? and you
can't afford it?

Where did I say that?

Just above. You wrote "1. SUV, four tires, $70 each so $280 total, 1st
set lasted 70000mi and still had half the tread. I only replaced them
because they were around 15 years old."

$280 X 100 = 28,000 cents divided by 70000 = 0.04 cents a mile

I never said that I can't afford it. Do not state words that other
people did not say.

2. Gatorskin, $45, lasted 2500mi at which point the tread surface was at
bare minimum.

What sort of a job do you have that you can't afford $45/2500 = 1.8
cents a mile for tires?

3. Vittoria Zafiro, $13, 2000mi.

Want more? I trust you can do the math.

Sure I can do the math and in my money 45 dollars is 1,440 baht. Which
is literally pocket change. It won't even cover a trip to the grocery
store. And you are whining about that?

Our parents and grandparents instilled a good philisophy in us. "He who
does not value the penny is not worth the dollar". I know scores of
people who say similar things. "What? You mind the measly five bucks of
a morning coffee and pastry at the drive-thru?". Well, I do. Needless to
say the folks who lived that way must keep on working until they are
well north of 65 and some literally until they keel over. I don't.

The problem is that in your grandparents day a penny was money. Today,
if you still have 1 cent coins it isn't even pocket change. If you
drop one most people couldn't be bothered to bend over and pick it up.

Those are typically those who run into money troubles. Pretty much
everyone whom I ever heard saying things like "Oh, that's just chump
change" did.

Besides, being conscious about small costs has honed my design skills in
electronics. When I design there is a cost calculator constantly running
in my brain.

Based on what I understand is California minimum salary rates a penny
is a tiny fraction of one minute's salary. 10 x 100=1,000 cents/hour
divided by 60 minutes = 16.6 cents/minute = 3.614 seconds per cent.

If it takes you more than 3.6 seconds to bend over and pick up the
penny than you are losing money :-)

No, no, look at the positive side. I am getting free core muscle
training :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/