Old August 12th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-11 15:05, sms wrote:
https://bikesiliconvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/170808-5B-Alta-Level-of-Traffic-Stress-Knowles.pdf

This was one of the presentations at the Silicon Valley Bicycle
Coalition Bike Summit.

Slide 6 is especially telling. No surprise that the U.S. has the lowest
number of bicycle travel in terms of distance, and the highest death
rate.

No surprise to me whatsoever. I lived in three of those countries,
Germany, Netherlands and US and can see why the numbers on slide 6 are
what they are.

Wow, those U.S. numbers! 44 cyclists killed per billion kilometers of
bicycle travel!

Let's see... that means there are 14.1 MILLION miles ridden for every
bike fatality. Hmm. Putting it that way, it just doesn't sound dangerous.

Let's try another way. How many miles do you ride in a year, Joerg?
Would you guess 3000? If so, and if you are of only average skill
(probably the case), you'll reach a 50% chance of dying on the bike
after just 4,700 years of riding.

Maybe after you've ridden for a thousand years or so, you ought to take
a cycling class. It will improve your odds considerably.

I did the same distance [20 miles]
here (Cameron Park to Folsom) yesterday for an errand. Aside from mixing
in with fast traffic at times which some potentially interested cyclists
don't like I also had to hack it across a dirt field for half a mile,
including crossing a muddy creek and lifting the bike over some low
fences. Hardly anyone would be willing to do the latter.

I'd say only those paranoid of traffic would even consider it! Sheesh!

--
- Frank Krygowski