Old August 15th 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-14 09:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM UTC-4,
wrote: Snipped
The entire trouble in California is the excessive
taxation. The Federal government is nearly as bad.

Snipped
You want business growth in the US - stop preventing it by
excessive taxation. Here they have added an addition tax
every year for the last three years to "fix the roads" and
still haven't done anything more than patched them in the
most egregious places.

Got to pay for all that bicycling infrastructure planning
and building somehow. Bicyclist aren't going to pay it just
themselves. Thus others re forced to chi; in via taxes.

We pay over $4k/year just in property taxes. That is about 10
(ten!) times more than what we paid for a house of similar
value in Europe. And yes, I do expect something in return for
that much money. Such as bike paths.

That's it! Try triple that in Portland -- or more, if you have a
nice house. ...

Time you guys had a taxpayer revolt like the Californian
Proposition 13. I know a guy in New York who had a decent
academic-level income yet his family was essentially taxed out of
their home. There are reasons why New York, Orgeon and lots of
other places are not on my list of potential retirement places.

What the f*** are you complaining about? You think that for
four-measly-thousand you're going to get bike trails to your
door. You're crazy! Plus property taxes don't pay for
transportation infrastructure -- that is funded through
transportation taxes, usually the gas tax with general fund
input.

http://www.frontiergroup.org/reports/fg/who-pays-roads

Quote "Most walking and bicycling takes place on local streets and
roads that are primarily paid for through property taxes and other
general local taxes".

Well, that's just wrong -- particularly for you. AFAIK, property
taxes in California may pay a tiny part of certain transportation
projects -- like mass transit, highway lighting or pot-hole filling.
They're not being used to build bike paths. Look at your tax bill and
see if there are any bonds for bicycle infrastructure. And read
this: http://www.calbike.org/funding_sources

Quote from your link "Most of that is generated by your city or county"

So how do they get it? Out of thin air? Print it cladestinely?

Local taxes have two major sources, property taxes and sales taxes. We
contribute to both and expect something for that.

... After Prop 13, there
are few property tax dollars for transportation projects. Maybe SMS
can weigh in on this. But I do know you pay practically nothing for
property tax. I probably paid that much 20 years ago for a dinger
house in a sketchy part of town.

Why did you do that?

--
Regards, Joerg