Old May 14th 14, 11:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

You missed the 5% ... I said even if only 5% of mountainbikers
ride on trails ... and I would suggest it's much higher than that ... you still
end up with nearly 5 million rides/day worldwide ... ON TRAILS !

Your common sense, if you had any, would tell you that that
number is impossible. They are clearly riding on roads and streets.

No Ed. My common sense tells me that more than 5% of the world's mountainbikers ride on trails. I'm cutting the number down so as to err on the side of caution.

The funny thing with common perception is that, bereft actually thinking about things clearly, it is frequently wrong.

I would estimate that there are somewhere between 300million to 500million mountainbikers world wide so even if only 5% of them ride on trails that is still 2.3million rides per day (assuming that they ride once per week). Or half that if they ride once every two weeks.

The likelihood, of course, is that since we have drastically reduced the figures at every step the reality is much much higher.

If you ride once a week, for twenty miles each time, then your

risks are ...

0.64% of fatality ... IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME

1 injury requiring medical attention ... EVERY 12.5 YEARS

Those figures calculated from the 0.00123 fatalities every million

miles travelled and 1.54 injuries requiring medical attention per thousand
exposures.

So, no, you're extremely unlikely to come to a bad end even if you

ride quite a lot.

You need to spend some time in this country where those
numbers would not apply at all to those who ride mountainous trails in the
Rockies.

But, of course, as ever you have no evidence whatsoever for that do you ? No facts or figures that would, you know, actually allow you to be informed as opposed to prejudiced.

Unfortunately for you, bikes on trails are being attacked by
those who are like me, serious hikers and not once a year family groups. Two
things need to happen: land mangers need to grow a spine and bikers need to
leave the gene pool. Then all will return to normalcy and God's grace will rain
down on only hikers on trails.

Oh, I don't think it's unfortunate at all. As Baltasar Gracian said "A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends."

If I am being opposed by a tiny, histrionic, selfish and diminishing minority who think they are better than everyone else then that's a position I'm more than happy to occupy.

The more extreme you get, the easier it is to position you as the lunatic fringe and the less attention and consideration you will get from the land managers. It is obvious to everyone, except you and your fellow travellers, that the fundamental remit of public parks is to provide recreation for the public. It is not to provide recreation for one tiny group only to the detriment of everyone else.