Old June 24th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Wind and waves

Coast route to Santa Cruz

I wish I had access to a similar picture fore other areas to the south
and east of this frame, that gives excellent information of the winds.
One of the more important areas is th coast south of this picture
because the wind blows from NNW usually but often dies before reaching
Santa Cruz, down the coast. On MWF the UP runs an up to 30 car
"cement train" north to Davenport and back to Watsonville to supply
the large CEMEX cement plant with coal and return with as many loaded
cement hopper cars..

Just the same, many tourists don't realize that riding north obscures
their view of to the surf by being on the inland lane where the coast
is steepest and most beautiful. They are mostly unaware that wind
usually is in their faces traveling north into a NNW wind. The Palo
Alto - San Gregorio - Davenport - Santa Cruz - loop returning on HWY 9
and Skyline Blvd is one of my regular favorites with much of HWY 9 in
a redwood forest.

I often see heavily laden tourists pedaling in low gears northward on
the inland side of the coast highway, some with trailers.

Jobst Brandt