Old September 5th 03, 10:21 AM
Richard Bates

Default FAQ

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:19:56 +0100, Doesnotcompute
in
wrote:

[1] a few pages at most, easy on the eye and valuable content only -
check the welcome faq of uk.people.bodyart to see the idea

[2] once a fortnight perhaps? long enough not to bore but regular enough
that most newbies will see it in their initial post downloads.

Haven't checked the faq you refer to but I think one word you used
sums up my feelings. "Welcome".

I agree that with archives such as google, the FAQ is becoming less
and less useful. But I think a regular welcome post explaining who we
are, what urc is about could be what is required. And I think that is
something that Guy has gone a long way to providing already on his
website. Perhaps also included in the welcome post could be stuff
about what we see to be courteous/discourteous, for example frequency
of For Sale ads, binaries, TdF spoilers, crossposting to uk.tosspot,
HTML

A reference to Guy's site for newbie advice on more lighthearted
things such as camper vans, bibshorts etc could be included

Much of what goes on in urc starts with somebody posting a question
rather than a statement. I think that an FAQ could quite possibly kill
off some of the threads which keep urc alive. Even posting a question
about something that has been discussed thousands of times before
(thinking of helmets, lights, insurance) can yield a response that has
never been thought of before. I think it would be a shame to
potentially cease new answers to an old question.

Love and thoughts from Rich x

--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er
luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit.