Old October 2nd 04, 01:41 PM
Ian Smith

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:28:26 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:
Ian Smith said...

It's not me that's seeking to prove anything by estimating available
restraint forces - it's you. It's your argument that's in need of
defence, so having pointed out all these things wrong with it, it's
not really down to me to defend it. If, of course, you can't defend
your argument - can't explain why it's valid to assume serration
orientation etc. - we can simply drop your claim that there's 5000N
retsraining force available, and return to consideration of why teh
manufacturers don't want to think about wheel ejection, when it is
evidently a real issue.

All the engineering types here are trying to outdo each other in techno-
babble, but while this may impress the gullible,

Well obviously if super-slinky doesn't understand it, it must just be
irrelevant babble. Oh yes.

only a small part of the big picture. Let's assume for a moment that the
ejection forces exceed or are unacceptably close to restraining forces.

Which is the limit of teh point I was making.

I was addressing the SPECIFIC point made by one poster that it can't
be a problem because the pull-out resistnace is massively greater than
any ejection force. I was demonstrating PURELY that this 'because' is
wrong.

I was doing nothing more, so why criticise what I did for going no
further? I didn't solve world peace or eradicate hunger either, but
that in no way reduces the accuracy of what I did or said. Why should
it?

it either stops or blows through the retention lips. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I haven't heard anyone claim that the retention lips are
going to give way easily.

But interestingly, teh force to shear the retention lip would be
rather less than the 5000N that was presented as the cconservative
estimate of teh force required to shift the axle, because the argument
presented then _does_ make sense, but with a reduced area sheared.

I'd then have to wonder why retention lips are designed for a small
fraction of teh force that's conservatively generated from a QR.

problem that will require the immediate attention of the rider. Where
are all the reports of these partial failures? For every ejection we
should see even more partial failures, yet the cycling community does
not offer any examples of them ever occurring,

Well, you're evidently looking in teh wrong places, since I have seen
a reasonable number of reports.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig