Old October 13th 04, 05:49 PM
RichC

omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message ...

When the sun is low in the sky, and bright, such as this time of the year in my
bit of the UK, and I have to cycle 'into' the sun, I have my rear lights *on* -
and one in a flashing mode. Just helps make me that bit more visible.

Have you actually tested that theory?

I ask because I had it happen recently, while driving, that sun glare
made it pretty much impossible for me to see where I was going. I
slowed down pulled over until conditions changed, which took about 10
minutes.

I was the only car that stopped. Was I the only driver that was
blinded? Maybe. But I doubt it.

Drivers blinded by sun glare assume, I think, that they can still see
something as big as a car in time to avoid hitting it. And they drive
on, blindly. That appears to be what happened in the fatal collision
that inspired this thread. Blinking lights on the bike would not have
saved the victims.

Knowing they were being overtaken by a blinded driver and being
prepared to bail out might have saved them. (Total speculation; I have
no actual knowledge of the circumstances.)

Me, I assume that all drivers are blind at all times, and ride
accordingly.

RichC