Old March 27th 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default Ride an BUS not an SUV

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
.. .

"George Conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in

message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in

message
.. .

"George Conklin" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

And
besides, people will always use their cars for shopping even
if
they

Not me. In Germany I always used the basket on my bicycle.

Going shopping every day for something to eat is a total

waste
of
time.

It is when your tastebuds have gotten used to the taste of food
that
is
not
fresh.

What is sold as fresh is NOT fresh. IT is shipped from Mexico and
CA
and
many other distant places.

So true. That is why it is important to know who your local farmers

are,
and buy from them.

In most climates, you get fresh produce like that several weeks a

year,
just
like in the old days. That is back in the era of bad diets, high

death
rates, and food of unknown origin.

For one thing, several weeks a year is better than no weeks a year,

even
if
what you say is true. However, in most climates it is possible to have
fresh, in-season vegetables most of the year if you make it attractive

local farmers to grow them.

They could only be grown indoors in most areas. In the olden days,

people
did not have fresh fruit except in season. That included apples and

other
fruit which had to be dried or canned. Even fresh meat was hard to come
by.
My wife grew up on a sharecropper farm and they would can meat for the
winter, etc. An organge for Xmas was a treat in most of the world until
they were shipped year round.

I disagree. Brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) can be grown all

winter
in at least 1/2 the zones in the US and well up into the fall (and again

in
the spring) in most of the rest of it. Most root vegetables can be grown
right up until first frost and stored under mulch after that (in areas

where
they can't be grown all winter). Winter is the best time of year to
slaughter any type of domestic meat animal. Hunting season is in the

fall,
and that is _not_ because game animals are less plentiful then. Oranges
actually _are_ in season in the winter (that is when they typically

ripen).
That they have to be shipped is a function of where they grow, not when

they
ripen.

-Amy

Your post is just ignorant of what diets were historically. You need to
look at some facts and stop with the dreaming. Where my parents lived after
retirement, for example, the growing season was so short you could not even
grow tomatoes...they would freeze out. And so forth. When you get 120" of
snow a year, you don't do much growing, except grass. And you don't
slaughter animals and not can the meat or smoke it, because it will spoil.