Old August 22nd 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: On Turning Right

On 8/21/2016 4:30 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

In some previous post, I said:

On the way home, as I was approaching the infamous intersection of
Detroit and Pope, a driver decided to overtake me and turn right at
the same time. By good luck I had already started my turn onto Pope,
so I didn't crash into his passenger door. But he also decided that
he must aim directly for his proper position at the far-right edge of
the street. I was able to brake hard enough to stay in the part of
the triangle between him and the curb that was just barely wide enough
to contain me until he completed his pass, and he went on without the
faintest clue as to what he had done.

I've been thinking about this incident off and on, and while I still
think the driver should be sent back to driving school -- preferably
starting at age twelve -- I *could* have stopped him from doing it.

I had been thinking like a driver. In a car, when you make a right
turn, you shift as far to the right as practicable as you approach the
turn so as to get out of the way of the vehicles behind you as soon as
possible. (By undeserved good luck, this also prevents you from
right-hooking cyclists, if some ignorant unprintable hasn't used a fog
line as a lane separator for the sole purpose of confusing you.)

But when you are on a bike, shifting to the right shouts "THIS IS A
GOOD TIME TO OVERTAKE".

Or perhaps I didn't shift -- up until you get to that intersection,
the street is wide enough to share.

In any case, I should have approached the intersection in the middle
of my half of the road. *At the intersection* the lane isn't wide
enough to share, and I should have signaled that to the other drivers

Yep. That's what I normally do. It works pretty well.

--
- Frank Krygowski