Old September 3rd 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: It bears repeating

On 9/2/2017 11:09 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Riding safely is almost all communication.

A very important message that you must radiate continuously is "I know
the rules and plan to follow them. It is safe to act on the
assumption that I won't do anything stupid and unpredictable."

And another big part of riding safely is just paying attention.

Most bike crashes are simple falls of one sort or another. Common causes
are not paying attention to the gravel in that turn; or the wet steel
manhole cover in the rain; or the slot in the streetcar rail, etc.

One must also pay attention to the traffic situation up ahead; to the
squirrely rider trying to ride next to you; to the dog or motorist
coming down the driveway at your right; to the ear-plugged jogger who
may suddenly U-turn on the MUP, etc.

Zoning out is relaxing, but it works only in ideal conditions.

--
- Frank Krygowski