Old April 16th 21, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_6_]

Default Sorta techy news today

On 16/04/2021 03:26, Ralph Barone wrote:
sms wrote:
On 4/15/2021 11:13 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Let me get this straight.Â* Shimano have just patented a t-junction?

No. Shimano has patented a t-junction with a built in backflow preventer
valve.

Ok, you are correct, but what does it actually do over a t-junction if
the system is filled?

Patents that would never hold up in court get issued all the time.
Shimano has the financial resources to fight someone else that uses a
hydraulic tee-junction for bicycle brakes, whether or not the patent
would eventually be upheld.

I once asked one of the attorneys at a semiconductor company that I
worked at why we were not defending a patent that several foreign
companies were openly violating. It was explained to me that if we went
to court and lost then all the companies that were paying us licensing
fees would stop paying and that it wasn't clear if our patent was
defensible.