Old August 29th 04, 10:39 PM
Paul Cassel

Mitch Haley wrote:

I grew up believing in God and motorcycle helmets. It wasn't a far
jump from there to believing in bicycle helmet advertising. In the
late 1980's I saw the rapid changeover from helmets to foam hats and
began to think that style was more important than protection. It didn't
matter that much to me, I still had a stockpile of helmets that would
last me a while. It was here that I first began to realize it was all
about style and profits, and not at all about injury prevention.

Do you wear motorcycle helmets on a bicycle? Nobody I've heard of denies
motorcycle helmets prevent some injuries in a crash. The debate is if
wearing of them causes more crashes due to limited scan, hearing, etc.
OTOH, there seems to be some inferential evidence that wearing helmets
on a bicycle can create injury. That's something I've never heard
claimed for motorcycle helmets.

-paul