Old February 5th 05, 07:50 PM
116

The most important thing is to get a wheel with adequate spoke tension,
no spoke windup, high quality spokes, nipples, and hub and stress-relief

At this point I'm looking at getting DT Competitions.

Any of the Velocity and Sun rims intended for mountain bike use should
work just fine when the above criteria are met.

It came with Velocity Razors. With the front rim, at about 2,000 miles
there
were getting ever worse cracks in the middle causing the sides to push
out and
rim brakes to hit on both sides. I quickly replaced them with whatever
the LBS
had and have no problems with the front since. Now, at 9,000 miles the
brakes are touching at both sides on at least one part of the remaining
Velocity Razor rim on the rear. While I haven't pulled the rear tire
off, I assume the same cracking on the front is occurring on the rear.
Hence my desire to replace the rear rim and while I'm at it the rear
spokes as well (though to my surprise all the rear spokes are the
original
straight 14 gauges).

My point in telling my story is that rightly or wrongly I'm turned off
by Velocity rims. The LBS recommended Sun Rhyno Lites, but I want to
get as many useful opinions as I can--I go very long distances on my
bike
and need to rely on its components.

The concern I have with MTB rims like the Rhyno Lites is that I run
a 26x1.25 tire and it is unclear to me that a MTB rim that will hold
a 26x2.5 tire would work or work well for me. Anyone have comments on
this?