Old February 5th 05, 11:07 PM

Tom Sherman wrote:

My point in telling my story is that rightly or wrongly I'm turned

off
by Velocity rims. The LBS recommended Sun Rhyno Lites, but I want

get as many useful opinions as I can--I go very long distances on

my
bike and need to rely on its components.

snip

The Velocity Razors are *extremely* light, and it's not surprising that
they've worn out and are failing. As Tom said, the Aeroheats are
perfectly adequate replacements.

Sun makes narrower ISO 559-mm rims than the Rhyno Lite [2].

[1] http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html.
[2] http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/mtbrims.html. [3]
[3] The Sun-Ringle web page is one of the worst I have ever

encountered.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Ditto on the critisism of the Sun-Ringle website.

I would probably pick the CR-18 rim- but then, I don't have to. I have
CR-18 rims on my (and my wife's) Tour Easys, with 32mm wide tires-
roughly the equivalent of your 1.25" tires. The CR-18's have lasted
through several Pacific Northwest winters, with their associated
abrasive muck. It's getting close to replacement time, though- after
many thousands of miles.

I've built my own wheels for the past 20 years. Once I learned to build
them with high, even tension, they rarely go out of true and I never
break spokes. I'm not light, either- I'm 6-foot-4 and around 225 pounds
nowadays.

Jeff