Old February 7th 05, 08:18 AM
116

Why replace the spokes?

Well, I was thinking, why not? Actually, in my cycling lifetime
I've had to deal with the occasional rounded spoke nipple but I suppose
I could just replace all of these to insure they are all up to
snuff and keep the same spokes. Then again this would be a convenient
time to change to 14-15-14 over the current straight 14 gauge spokes.

Get rims that have a polished surface instead of hard anodizing. The
anodizing is a layer of aluminium oxide (ceramic) which is brittle. When
the aluminium oxide cracks, it produces a stress riser that can lead to
crack propagation in the base aluminium.

Makes sense to me, or at least this would explain what I've encountered.

Sheldon Brown reproduces a chart [1] on his website that shows rim
width/tire width compatibility.

I will check this out, thanks!

The Velocity Razors are *extremely* light, and it's not surprising that
they've worn out and are failing. As Tom said, the Aeroheats are
perfectly adequate replacements.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

I would probably pick the CR-18 rim- but then, I don't have to. I have
CR-18 rims on my (and my wife's) Tour Easys, with 32mm wide tires-
roughly the equivalent of your 1.25" tires.

I'll check these out as well.